Having experienced the benefits of chiropractic care and a healthy spine, parents are often motivated to bring their children in to be checked. It’s really important for kids to enjoy the benefits of good spinal health at every point of their growth and development. Imbalances in the spine detected early are much more easily fixed and enable the growing mind and body to function at its best through these important years.
Dental checks are a familiar concept to us all. It’s a good idea to keep an expert eye on your teeth to identify potential problems before they develop. A chiropractic check-up is just the same for your spine. Particularly for children who may not have any obvious symptoms, a thorough chiropractic assessment can identify areas of dysfunction and imbalance in the body before they become a bigger problem and eventually cause symptoms.
Is chiropractic care safe for children?
Are adjustments comfortable for them?
Are some parents worried at the thought of bringing their kids to the chiropractor?
Yes. But that’s ok. Once you have the chance to ask a few questions and see what’s involved, you won’t be daunted by the process at all.
What’s the chiropractic experience like for the kids?
We make it fun. Checking the spine can often feel a little bit ticklish, but kids also say it feels like a nice massage. The pressure applied in a spinal adjustment is gentle, comfortable and tailored to the individual. For babies, very light pressure is applied with the little finger to make the adjustment, while for young children, finger-tip pressure is often used. Then a ‘high-five’ celebration to finish!
15 reasons parents take their babies and children to see a chiropractor:
- After a difficult or long birth.
- To help with Irritable Baby Syndrome and colic.
- To help with latching and sucking problems affecting breastfeeding.
- To address Plagiocephaly (mis-shapen skull).
- To help with delayed developmental milestones such as delayed crawling or bottom crawling.
- To assist with learning and behavioural problems, and enhance emotional well-being.
- To improve their child’s ability to concentrate.
- To help with asthma management and breathing difficulties.
- To help alleviate digestive problems such as constipation.
- To assist with bed-wetting and sleep issues.
- To improve spinal posture.
- To reduce the incidence of recurrent infections and illnesses and strengthen immune function.
- To maximise their child’s neural plasticity (brain and nerve development)
- After falls and injuries to correct joint, muscle and ligament damage.
- After any complaints of pain or discomfort.
What is Chiropractic?
Chiropractic is based on the understanding that good health is dependant upon a normally functioning nervous system, especially the spine and the nerves extending from the spine to all parts of the body. Chiropractors adjust subluxations (joint and nerve dysfunction) in order to restore optimum function to the body.
How Long Will My Child Need Chiropractic Care?
Each baby or child is unique and the time required will vary individually. As a general rule, the longer the problem has been present or the more severe the birth trauma, the longer it will take to correct. However, children tend to respond to treatment more quickly than adults because their growing bodies are very responsive to positive change.